Search Judaica, Jewish Jewelry and Jewish Books
 

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Jack Benny

[Commenting on the vocal talents of his radio show's co-star] There's only five real people in Hollywood. Everyone else is Mel Blanc.

[After being presented with an award] I don't deserve this, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that, either.

[After being introduced by Ed Sullivan on his radio debut] This is Jack Benny talking. There will now be a slight pause while you say, 'Who cares?'

I began my show business career playing violin in San Francisco at the corner of Market and Taylor. I understand that there is a theater there now.

[on Al Jolson] When you talk about the world's greatest entertainer you have to say Al Jolson because there was no one like him. Only Judy Garland and perhaps Frank Sinatra got anywhere near him!

[on The Marx Brothers] If you ever eat at the Hillcrest Country Club and Groucho is there you'll find he'll make you laugh in the same way he does on screen. Chico, I would say, loved women and gambling, period. Harpo was probably the sweetest man you would ever want to meet.

[on Bob Hope] It's not enough just to get laughs. The audience has to love you, and Bob gets love as well as laughs from his audiences.


Jewish Biography: Jack Benny

No comments: