Search Judaica, Jewish Jewelry and Jewish Books
 

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Shelly Winters

In Hollywood, all the marriages are happy. It's trying to live together afterwards that causes all the problems.

I did a picture in England one winter and it was so cold I almost got married.

The best way to find out about a man is to have lunch with his ex-wife

I had to gain forty pounds for this movie.

I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long.

(her career-longevity advice) "You gotta play mothers. If you don't you won't get a long career in Hollywood."

[on Fredric March] "He was able to do a very emotional scene with tears in his eyes, and pinch my fanny at the same time."

Anna Magnani could act anybody off the stage or screen.

My face was always so made up, it looked as though it had the decorators in.

It's sad that people are so open about their sexuality. Sex is much more fun when you have to sneak around and cover it up.

I think on-stage nudity is disgusting, shameful and damaging to all things American. But if I were 22 with a great body, it would be artistic, tasteful, patriotic and a progressive religious experience.

[on Joanne Woodward] Joanne always made it her business to hold back her career while Paul Newman was on the up and up. And that girl is one helluva talented actress. But she knew what side her bread was buttered on and let Paul become the superstar of the family. The result? They're still happily married today.

[on director George Stevens] George photographs what goes on in the air between people.

[on Anthony Franciosa] I'll never forget the night I brought my Oscar home and Tony took one look at it and I knew my marriage was over.

[on Robert De Niro] Bobby needs someone to watch over him. He doesn't even know enough to wear a coat in the wintertime. When we did "Bloody Mama" he didn't even know how much money they were paying him. I found out how little it was and insisted they at least give him some expense money.

[on Oscar Levant] A tortured man who sprayed his loathing on anyone within range.

No comments: